ADSM-L

Re: Non-IBM LTO tapes in a 3584

2003-09-12 10:59:45
Subject: Re: Non-IBM LTO tapes in a 3584
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 14:59:27 +0000
Hot Diggety! Shawn Price was rumored to have written:
>  For what it's worth, my boss cheaped out and got some non IBM tapes for
>  our 3584, and I've had nothing but problems with them. Mostly Imation
>  and a few Emtecs. We are running the first generation LTO 1 drives, so
>  there might be an issue with those as well. I have now gone in and just
>  started pulling the tapes that have gone read-only more than twice and
>  replaced them with IBMs.

Make sure your library and drives are at the latest firmware revision
levels -- this is especially important since more recent firmware revs
fixes bugs that causes problems with non-IBM tapes from what I hear.

Latest 3584 library firmware you can get from IBM's web/ftp site: 3300
if no D42 drives in library; else, 3060.

To check firmware rev for library w/AIX: # lscfg -vl smc0 | grep FW

The library firmware rev # also appears on the main LCD panel screen.

Latest 3584 drive firmware you can get from IBM's web/ftp site: 36U3 for
LTO-1 drives and 38D0 for LTO-2 drives.

To check firmware rev for drive w/AIX: # lscfg -vl rmt0 | grep FW
(...and for each drive... rmt1, rmt2, etc.)

-Dan