ADSM-L

Re: How have you got your fiber-attached LTO drives connected to your TSM server?

2003-09-10 16:33:49
Subject: Re: How have you got your fiber-attached LTO drives connected to your TSM server?
From: Alex Paschal <AlexPaschal AT FREIGHTLINER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:33:24 -0700
We have 20 9840's, not LTO's, but I wouldn't expect the topology preferences
to be much different.  We go 9840 -> SAN cloud (FC switches) -> 4 HBAs in
TSM server.  If you have existing SAN infrastructure, I don't know that I'd
recommend putting a switch in your library.  Personally I'd just run Fibre
from the drives to your existing switches.  Whether you use hubs or not to
aggregate your drives per switch port seems to be a purely cost and
infrastructure (like Becky) and support driven decision.  I haven't run into
drawbacks with FC hubs and small loops for port aggregation, but from my
standpoint, if I can afford 1 or 2 switch ports per drive, I'd rather go
with Simpler than install hubs.  Of course, your mileage may vary.

Alex Paschal
Freightliner, LLC
(503) 745-6850 phone/vmail