ADSM-L

Re: lots of ANR8218W messages after upgrading to 5.2.0.1, Why??

2003-09-08 05:27:17
Subject: Re: lots of ANR8218W messages after upgrading to 5.2.0.1, Why??
From: Radoslav Bendik <bendik AT NS.HTC DOT SK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:26:47 +0200
> Date:      Aug 27, 10:04
> From:      Karel Bos <Karel.Bos AT NUON DOT COM>
>
> Yesterday we upgraded our Win2K TSM servers from TSM 5.1.7.1 to TSM
> 5.2.0.1. Now we are getting a lot of these warnings:
>
> ANR8218W Session terminated when no data read on socket 8456576 (or some
> other socket number).
>
> This is at start of the client back-ups and for all the clients. After
> this initial message back-ups run normal and finish correct.
>
> Any ideas to get rid of these messages?

Hi,

I experienced same problem since using v5.2 server. This occurs in case of
prompted scheduled sessions:

ANR2561I Schedule prompter contacting SRVMNG (session 2) to start a scheduled
operation.
ANR8218W Session terminated when no data read on socket 852460.
ANR0480W Session 2 for node SRVMNG () terminated connection with client severed.
ANR0406I Session 3 started for node SRVMNG (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip srvmng.htc.sk(1938)).

Server version is 5.2.0.2.

I observed similar behavior with TSM server v5.2 on Linux. Messages are
slightly different, but the effect is same:

ANR2561I Schedule prompter contacting SRVMNG (session 4) to start a scheduled
operation.
ANR8214E Session 13 aborted due to zero-length message.
ANR0480W Session 4 for node SRVMNG () terminated connection with client severed.
ANR0406I Session 5 started for node SRVMNG (WinNT) (Tcp/Ip srvmng.htc.sk(1985)).

I have looked to the session through windump (tcpdump) and the situation
is same in both cases, but Windows server error messages are more
descriptive. Server expects some data from client and tries to read them.
But there are no data, so it closes the client session (messages 8218 on
Windows and 8214 on Linux).

Schedules are working, but there are those waste messages...  Maybe some
select() for read would fix it.

--
rado b
        Why Did You Reboot That Machine?