ADSM-L

Re: how much of the DB does a node use?

2003-09-08 04:14:31
Subject: Re: how much of the DB does a node use?
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 10:14:14 +0200
2838 said:
> Hello all,
>         I am trying to group the 200 server + 300 PC nodes that I backup
> into meaningful groups so I can seperate my TSM server into 3 TSM
> servers. I am currently running TSM 5.1.5.4 on a z/OS 1.1 system.  I
> have to keep all processing off of 1st shift and am thinking I can
> increase my speed by using more processors and cutting down on the
> internal TSM conflicts (making offsite copy while doing backups or
> expiration and migration together , etc) by splitting my TSM server into
> 3 TSM servers.   I have enough excess processor during off hours and
> management is willing to give me more disk and tape drives (within
> reason) to make this work.   I can easily break off the PCs and all
> Development clients into a TSM instance.  They can be backed up late on
> 3rd shift and use the available tape drives on early 2nd shift. The SLA
> for that group allows the offsite copy to be a day late.   But when I
> get to the group of true servers that TSM backs up I want to know the
> impact on the TSM DB size for my decisions as which nodes go to which
> TSM server.   My server clients are pretty diverse from hug DB2 data
> bases that look like half a dozen 30GB files (little TSM DB impact) to
> Window servers with millions of files (high TSM DB impact).
>         So the question is,  How can I find out how much of the TSM DB
> does
> each of my client nodes use?
> THanks in advance
> Matt

Of course, this is not 100% but it will get you close enough...

Each file in the db uses about 300 to 350 bytes. So you could guestimate
the size of your new DB by  counting the number of files for each node
that is going to be on that server, multiply that by 350 and take a factor
1.5 more so you can grow a bit and you have some room to spare in case
your tipical files require more than 350 bytes per file....

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten           http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167
PGP keys at http://home.sara.nl/~remco/keys.asc

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams