ADSM-L

Re: move nodedata

2003-09-05 08:34:10
Subject: Re: move nodedata
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:32:20 +0300
Andy,

I was trying to say that that your "tweaking" will expire/delete *all*
copies of an object simultaneously, be they in a primary pool or first or
second copypool. As result it will be *equivalent* to `del fi` command. I
am not saying you can accomplish what you are looking for with the `del
fi` command.

Also you should distinguish between different stages in file lifecycle
within TSM:
0. File is in a node's filesystem
1. During node backup a copy of the file is created and stored in TSM
server as an *object*!!! The object is bound to a mgmtclass according to
include/exclude list and copygroup settings are honored.
2. During stgpool backup additional objects are created from the original
one and are linked to it. Copypool objects have no direct link to
mgmtclass/copygroup
3a. Deletion of volume in a copypool discards only some of the objects
created in step 2 and their corresponding links
3b. Exipration mandated by copygroup settings discards *primary* objects
created in step 1. Relational consistency links delete *all* objects
linked to those primary objects, i.e. all copies in all copypools!
3c. Move of an object from a storage pool to another *does not* play any
role in the expiration process. That is the beauty of TSM - you have not
to care where your data is, the TSM server can be thought as a black box
managed by policies.

Whether you will create new domain with "tweaked" settings and move the
node to it or modify production policy domain settings does not make
difference for that node's data - it will be discarded simultaneously from
all stgpools. But "tweaking" of production domain will throw away the data
of all nodes in that domain and the only way back will be TSM database
restore!!!
So be careful.

Example:
daily backups go to stgpoolA
before sunday weekly backups are taken the copygroup is updated to point
stgpoolB
weekly backup goes to stgpoolB
monday morning copygroup is set back to stgpoolA
stgpoolA is backed up daily to stgcopyA
stgpoolB is backed up weekly to both stgcopyA and stgcopyB

Now if in a weekday you set copygroup retention settings to expire all but
one versions, which files will survive?
>From your posts I am under impression you think only copies in stgcopyA
will expire and copies in stgcopyB will be kept as the policy domain does
not refer to that pool at all.
In the TSM universe the rules are that all those primary versions will
expire and their copies from both stgcopyA and stgcopyB will dismiss. The
things would not change at all if we modify the scenario to use `move
data` somehow.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
03.09.2003 10:42

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:

Zlatko,

I do agree with what you are saying but my point was if you have moved
node
data from one stgpool to another,  but at the same time changed the domain
of the node, what would happen to the data in the old copypool??? Does it
maintain the same copy group/domain definitions for node which would now
be
in a new domain??? If not then surely it would be feasible to tweak the
old
copygroup params (subject to having no nodes being in the old domain using
the "to-be-tweaked" copygroup definitions) to reduce expire the data on
the
storagepool. On the otherhand if updating the nodes domain, does also
apply
to data in the old copypool, you are indeed correct and you would have to
be
incredibly crazy to do such a thing.

After writing my response above I think I have may have blurred and
complicated what I was trying to say, for which I do apologise.

On a different note I wasn't aware that you could delete a filespace from
specific storage/copy pool which is partly why this problem exists for me.
am running TSM 5.1.6.2 has this capability been included in a later
release?

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services
Aquila Networks Services Ltd

The
> problem you have is the biggest issue with the move nodedata command.
From
> reading across the many articles on here, it appears that the only way
> get rid of the old copypool data is to delete the volumes containing the
> data.
>
> Luckily for me I am doing a massive tidyup and plan to remove our old
> copypools for this very reason.
>
> Food for thought though... Has anyone tried eliminating the old copypool
> data by tweaking the copygroup parameters down to pretty much nothing,
and
> letting expiration clear most of it down? Would this even work, as I get
> the
> impression that the data in the old copypool maintains its original
> retention settings, although I could be wrong (I also assume that you
> would
> need to move the node into a new domain as well as tweaking the
copygroup
> params would otherwise affect the live data)??? Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy Wilcox
> Midrange Services
> Aquila Networks Services Ltd