ADSM-L

Re: Backup Storage Pool - One Node per Drive

2003-09-03 19:55:30
Subject: Re: Backup Storage Pool - One Node per Drive
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:55:01 -0400
> If I run a backup storage pool (Disk Pool to Tape Pool) on a storage pool that
> contains (roughly) 200 GB of backup data that TSM will only allocate 1 process
> per NODE no matter how much data is in the DISK pool to be backed up (up to
> the amount of processes specified by MAXPROCESS=).

It is sometimes the case that problems define opportunities...  When anything
gets too large, be it a file system or a collection of wood screws in your
garage, subdivision and categorization become attractive, in that they can make
the whole more manageable, orderly, and predictable.  When I was young and
foolish with ADSM, I started out with a single storage pool for everything.
Now that I'm less young, I have multiple storage pools: general backups, archive
data, HSM data, mail spool backups.  This has made things much more controlable
and makes tape reclamation more sane with the different retention policies for
the different types of data.  And, of course, with multiple storage pools I
enjoy more parallelization over the tape drives.

When an aged strategy makes life inordinately difficult, consider other
strategies.

  Richard Sims, BU