ADSM-L

Re: TSM is backing up WINNT\SYSTEM32 every night!

2003-09-03 11:46:18
Subject: Re: TSM is backing up WINNT\SYSTEM32 every night!
From: Debi Randolph <Debra.Randolph AT FBOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:45:27 -0500
But....you can turn it off on a client by client basis by putting this in
the DSM.OPT file.

DOMAIN      -SYSTEMOBJECT

I turn it off for all my remote clients, so I don't have to pull all that
data across the wire every single day.
I usually just let it run for the clients that are in-house, you just might
need that data some day, we have!

                      "Prather, Wanda"
                      <Wanda.Prather@JH        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      UAPL.EDU>                cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Re: TSM is backing up
WINNT\SYSTEM32 every night!
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      09/03/2003 10:19
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

If this is a Win2K machine, it is not a bug, it's a "feature".
It's the backup of the system files piece of the "system object".
Microsoft has designated that these files must be backed up and restored as
a set, not as individual objects.
So TSM backs them up every time, whether they've changed or not.

It's a pain in the patootie.  Puts a huge extra load on your TSM data base.

The description of how the "system files" are handled can be found in the
Redbook:
TSM 3.7.3 and 4.1 Technical Guide SG24-6110  Chap. 6