ADSM-L

Re: Migrating to TSM 5.1 & dev drivers

2003-09-03 08:58:23
Subject: Re: Migrating to TSM 5.1 & dev drivers
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:58:01 -0400
I believe the upgrade docs say nothings has to be done for 3494 libs,
the defs migrate correctly...and that was our experience.

>>> fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK 09/03/03 07:21AM >>>
Hello again TSMers

Regarding migration steps to TSM 5.1 (from 4.2.2.12 on a Solaris 2.7
machine), do I need to follow any of the steps below (or similar). We
only
have one IBM 3494 lib with two IBM 3590 tape drives. The documentation
shows info for non-IBM devices, but I wondered if a similat thing had
to be
done for IBM ones.

The steps requested are as follows :-

7.The previous procedure replaces the TSM tape, optical and library
device
drivers (non-IBM). You must now reconfigure the device
       drivers into the kernel, so that the device special file names
are
consistent.
          a.Note the existing device special file names. You may want
redirect them to a file.

            |ls -l
/dev/rmt/*mt                (tape)

            |ls -l /dev/rmt/*lb | grep lb@
(library)                                     |
            |ls -l
/dev/rmt/*op                (optical)

          b.Remove the device special files. The device drivers were
removed from the kernel when the previous packages were
            removed.

            |rm
/dev/rmt/xmt

            |rm
/dev/rmt/xlb

            |rm
/dev/rmt/xop

            |   Where x is the appropriate
number                                            |

          c.Reconfigure the device drivers:

            |add_drv
mt                (tape)

            |add_drv
lb                (library)

            |add_drv
op                (optical)

          d.Compare the device special file names with the names noted
in
step 7a and note any differences.

            |ls -l
/dev/rmt/*mt                (tape)

            |ls -l /dev/rmt/*lb | grep lb@
(library)                                     |
            |ls -l
/dev/rmt/*op                (optical)

            After you start TSM, use the UPDATE PATH command to make
any
device special file name changes.

Many thanks

Farren Minns - John Wiley & Sons Ltd

This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient,
you
must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received
this
message in error please notify the sender.

sender,
except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on
your
own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
arising out of any bug or virus infection.