ADSM-L

not preempted by higher priority operation

2003-09-02 17:10:49
Subject: not preempted by higher priority operation
From: Debi Randolph <Debra.Randolph AT FBOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 16:10:30 -0500
Hi List .......

Has this ever happened to you?

I have only two tape drives, so they pretty much run non-stop.
But when someone goes in to do a restore, whatever is running gets
preempted and the restore gets completed as a priority.
But sometimes.....for some reason......TSM does not preempt whatever is
running and the restore just sits there and never runs.

It happened to us this morning.   Both tape drives were migrating data, so
nothing with a seriously high priority.    Neither drive was writing out
any seriously large file or seriously large client, we co-locate and were
mounting tapes left and right, we were down to the last few clients.

The restore sat there for more than an hour in a Tape Wait state.

The customer finally killed the restore.   When I restarted it later, it
ran without issue, at that time we were doing reclamation with both drives.

Server is Windows 2000
Server is SP3
TSM Server 5.1.7.0
TSM Client 5.1.5.0 (Windows 2000)
IBM 3494 library
IBM 3590 E1A drives

This isn't the first time this has happened, and it doesn't happen all the
time.  I usually get impatient and kill whatever is running so that a tape
drive becomes available.   Whenever this happens, we don't get the
preempted message in the activity log.

ANR1440I All drives in use.  Process 237 being preempted
                       by higher priority operation.

Can anyone explain why this would happen?

Thanks,
Deb Randolph

*******************    N O T I C E    *******************
The information contained in this e-mail, and in any accompanying
documents, may constitute confidential and/or legally privileged
information.  The information is intended only for use by the
designated recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient (or
responsible for the delivery of the message to the intended
recipient), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, copying, or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance on this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received
this e-mail communication in error, please notify the sender
immediately and delete the message from your system.