ADSM-L

AW: setting up DLT drive for TSM 5.2.0 on Linux

2003-08-29 05:42:44
Subject: AW: setting up DLT drive for TSM 5.2.0 on Linux
From: "Bleicher, Thomas" <bleicher AT NETZLINK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:41:19 +0200
Hi Zhu. Thank you for your information.

> In order to get a real kernel level of SuSE Linux distribution in
> a running system, we have to know its release level of the kernel.
> Generally, we can use commands “rpm –qa | grep k_deflt” on UP
> systems or “rpm –qa | grep k_smp” on SMP systems to get the release
> level of kernel package.

These are the results off the common uname and the rpm-db of the
system. It's a UP-system, but the XEON cpu looks like a SMP for
the kernel, afaik.

  HSIx235:~ # uname -a
  Linux HSIx235 2.4.19-64GB-SMP #1 SMP Mon Aug 4 23:48:22 UTC 2003 i686 unknown
  HSIx235:~ # rpm -qa | grep k_smp
  k_smp-2.4.19-340

So, I'm running release-level 340. And now that I know about it
I can see that the "supported" release is only 233 :(
Should I downgrade the kernel first of all?

> In your case, I think the kernel level on your system is the
> one that is not supported by TSM. Could you please verify your
> k_smp level for me (I think  your sytesm is a SMP machine)?

XEON, see above. Are there only a few kernels that don't work
or ist the ...-233 the only version that is tested?

> Once known your kernel level, I will work with you to make TSM
> device drivers work on your system.

Thank you very much. I have included the SCSI information for the
second round of this.

  HSIx235:~ # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
  Attached devices:
  Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
    Vendor: BNCHMARK Model: DLT1             Rev: 5032
    Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
    Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
    Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 15 Lun: 00
    Vendor: IBM      Model: SERVERAID        Rev: 1.00
    Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
  Host: scsi1 Channel: 01 Id: 08 Lun: 00
    Vendor: IBM      Model: 02R0962a S320  1 Rev: 1
    Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Thank you for your time.
Thomas Bleicher