ADSM-L

Setting up DLT drive for TSM 5.2 on Linux

2003-08-28 13:08:54
Subject: Setting up DLT drive for TSM 5.2 on Linux
From: "Bleicher, Thomas" <bleicher AT NETZLINK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:53:07 +0200
Hello all! Sorry if this is a basic question but I am new to TSM
and the IBM Software Licensing Univers.

I've a x235 running SuSE SLES 8.0 (or United Linux 1.0 if you like).
Kernel (2.4.19, 64GB, SMP) is tested for TSM 5.2. I've set up
TSM 5.2.0.2 and it's running ok.

Only the tapedrive is not at all cooperative (but it works in Linux
"nativ" mode, so no hardware issues).

The drive is an IBM xSeries option (PN 24P2430) DLT VS80. The kernel
reports it as "BNCHMARK DLT1" on booting - which seems OK for me
(I think it's the same hardware dressed in black).

When I try to set up the drive according to the README for the
"tsmscsi" script I am not sure what to use as config for the lb
device. I think I don't need any (it's a "manual library") so I
didn't create the lb.conf.

Running "./tsmscsi" first shows the message that the lb configuration
was skipped ("ok with me"). Then the kernel-module is loaded (I get the
propper message about the kernel being "tainted" from now on) and an
error message (sorry, can't access the machine right now). "lsmod" shows
me that the module is loaded but not used.

I can't access the machine right now, but I found a message in the
archives with the same error (only replace "lb" by "mt" and the proper
kernel version) [Long line wrapped]:

> Processing /opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/lb.2.4.18-4GB
> Warning: loading /opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/lb.2.4.18-4GB will
>          taint the kernel: no license
> ./tsmscsi: Error -  insmod failed to load
> /opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/lb.2.4.18-4GB correctly. Check that file
> /opt/tivoli/tsm/devices/bin/lb.conf is configured correctly.

I found that the script produces the error-msg when it's looking for
"/proc/scsi/mt*" which is not created, indeed, even if I load the module
by "insmod" (it's the right module for the kernel; iirc 2.4.19_64GB_SMP).

The (assumed) tape is listed (as "Benchmark DLT1" or "IBM xSeries") on
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devices_for_Linux.html

but requires the "IBM Passport Advantage Software Maintenance Agreement".

My question is if this is the cause for my troubles i. e. I need another
kernel module than the one that was in the rpm-package which really does
support my drive or did I understand something terribly wrong about setting
up drives (and libraries)?

Thank you for your patience.

Thomas Bleicher,
Netzlink GmbH, Braunschweig, Germany