ADSM-L

Re: IBM is not eating their own dog food

2003-08-23 21:06:49
Subject: Re: IBM is not eating their own dog food
From: Robert Clark <res03db2 AT GTE DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 18:09:32 -0400
I was in a tight spot, needing to get a client version that would work
on a new system.

I had to laugh when at the end of a grueling "sign up for an account to
get to it" session, I ended up on a publicly accessible ftp site.

I guess if enough people don't sign up for accounts, some group of
webmasters somewhere is going to get their walking papers?

Who knows.

[RC]

Lawrence Clark wrote:

Yes, it is awkward getting into the support sites for patches and info.
I got so many userid's and passwords, and each place thinks they are
important enough in my life to remembers thiers!

acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET 08/21/03 05:44PM >>>

I am not asking for advice or help but want to discuss am I the only
person seeing the symptom.
Today I've got it trying to look different libraries. Supported
devices
list does not require authorization but library element addresses are
protected (maybe again SCO is having IP claims :-)).
Visiting IBM support site (not only for TSM) every now and then I am
facing an ugly message:
"We apologize for this inconvenience. Please wait a few minutes and
then
try your request again. If the problem persists, please use our
Customer
assistance page to report it. "

It seems that with introduction of single-logon and single-id ideology
IBM
introduced another bottleneck or single point of failure. And recalling
2-3 years old analysis I can remember a statement that IBM is one of
the
companies which do not eat their own dog food - in this case IBM is
selling high-performance and high-availability solutions to customers
but
their own systems are not in this class.

BTW: for all IBMers reading the list - I am sick to death of IBM web
site
support irresponsibility and abandoned any attempts to report
web-related
problems. This one also will *not* receive my click on that stupid
link

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant