ADSM-L

incremental blocked by inclexcl file

2003-08-19 19:03:54
Subject: incremental blocked by inclexcl file
From: Richard Anderson <rna AT FRONTIERNET DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 16:48:38 -0600
I am using TSM  Client Version 4, Release 2, Level 1.0 on an AIX system.
I have a directory (/s/sirsi/Unicorn) that contains 60 GB of data files,
the largest of which are frequently updated.  The application that updates
these files must be kept running with very little down time.

We have nightly incremental backups running via the scheduler.  They
usually start at about 22:00, but the actual start time varies, depending
on what other backups the server is performing.  In order to prevent
/s/sirsi/Unicorn from being backed up while the application is live, we
exclude the directory and its children in the inclexcl file.

I would like to write a script to be run from crontab that shuts down the
application, does an incremental backup, and then restarts the
application.  However, I find that because the directory is excluded in
the inclexcl file, the incremental job of course fails to backup anything.

So... Is there any way to override the inclexcl file temporarily while
manually doing an incremental command?  I can find no command line option
that would help.  And my attempts to create a custom user dsm.opt file
pointing to a different inclexcl file only resulted in an error:
ANS1036S Invalid option 'INCLEXCL' found in options file
'/s/sirsi/dsm.opt'

Any suggestions would be welcome.  Thank you.

Richard Anderson
Stanford University Libraries