ADSM-L

TSM MF to AIX sizing?

2003-08-19 13:10:59
Subject: TSM MF to AIX sizing?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:12:06 -0400
Hello all,
        WE are currently running TSM 515 on z/OS 1.1 (9672-x57 gen 6) and
are considering moving it to AIX to free up CPU cycles that are being used
during 1st shift.   As we consider that versus doing thing to make it run
better on 2nd and 3rd (use 2 TSM servers, FICON to TAPE instead of ESCON,
LAN FREE for a few big Servers) I need to know the characteristics of the
AIX box to move to.  We are backing up about 15TB a month now.  I don't know
if we should be looking for a 2CPU machine or a 4CPU machine or if money is
best spent on 2 of the fastest CPUs versus 4 old CPU's.  It is hard to point
in a directions without knowing what the replacement system would be and
therefore its costs.  (yes I know that there is still 4GB of memeory, 2 GB
adapters, etc to cost out).   Is there anyone that can give my the voice of
experience or point me in the proper direction to correctly work this
problem though?
Thanks in Advance
Matt