ADSM-L

TSM Licensing question & Veritas Volume Manager Question

2003-08-15 10:13:03
Subject: TSM Licensing question & Veritas Volume Manager Question
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:12:46 -0400
Licensing question:

We are considering implementing a SAN.  Lan free backups are enabled on
a SAN using the storage agent, which could be any of several vendors
SANs. What then is the purpose of these licenses?:
              Number of TDP for ESS in use: 0
                     Number of TDP for ESS licensed: 0
              Number of TDP for ESS in try buy mode: 0
                   mber of TDP for ESS R/3 in try buy mode: 0
             Number of TDP for EMC Symmetrix in use: 0
           Number of TDP for EMC Symmetrix licensed: 0

Veritas Volume Manager Question:

Since we have a number of AIX and Windows 2000 machines that will be
participating on the SAN, it has been suggested we consider implementing
Veritas's Volume Manager. Has anyone any experience with this product
along with TSM?

-Since it replaces AIX LVM and Windows 2000 system, does it invalidate
previously existing backups and archives in these environments?
- Can it be used in a SAN with the storage agent for LAN - free
backups.

Any experience with VVM with TSM / SAN would be welcome.