ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Upgrades help required .

2003-08-14 09:48:29
Subject: Re: 3590 Upgrades help required .
From: Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 09:48:04 -0400
does anyone have this information for converting from 3590B to the 3590E
drives? I know I am behind the tech curve, but that's life.

Bill

>>> spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU 08/14/03 09:27AM >>>
> >and I will be free to start running some movedata commands to start
> >consolidating tapes (using the new higher compression).
>
> 3590H upgrading is fully covered in the server README file.
>

> I must apologise for being a bit thick here, but exactly which README is
> this. I can find no reference to necessary steps when upgrading from B1A to
> the H1A 3590 drives in the manuals or the the README file in
> /opt/tivoli/tsm/server etc á(I'm running TSM on Solaris by the way).

you should have:

/opt/tivoli/tsm/server/README

and this section goes into conversion strategies in detail:

* $$6 Support for IBM 3590 Model Hxx Tape Drives
*

TSM now supports the IBM 3590H Tape drive.

The 3590H tape drive writes data in a new 384 track data tape format.
3590H drives can not write in 3590 128 track format or 3590E 256 track
format however, they can read data from the tapes previously written in
128 track format on 3590 drives or 256 track format on 3590E drives.

With new 3590H drives available, the existing 3494 libraries with 3590/3590E
drives may either be completely upgraded with 3590H drives or they may
have an intermix configuration (3590, 3590E and 3590H drives).

TSM administrators must follow certain rules to transition from old
3590/3590E drives to new 3590H drives and/or maintain both kinds of
drives within the same physical library.

Minimum Configurations:

Device Driver level:  Atape.7.1.1.0
(ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/A
IX)

Tape formats for 3590H:
      - 3590H-B - uncompressed mode (similar to 3590E-B)
      - 3590H-C - compressed mode (similar to 3590E-C)
      - DRIVE   - the most advanced available format
      Note: For 3590E and 3590H tape drives the most
            advanced formats are respectively 3590E-C and 3590H-C

 1. All 3590/3590E drives within physical library are upgraded
    with 3590H drives at the same time.

    Consider an example with one 3590/3590E drive physically
    defined as /dev/rmt0. Assume that there were originally
    defined devclass, logical library, and
    storage pool for 3590 drive.
    There were also some volumes (tape cartridges) checked
    in the library with data written on that drive.
    Replaced 3590/3590E drive with 3590H drive.

    Steps below will allow you to use the new 3590H drives
    with minimum changes to TSM server:

     - Using SMIT utility or manually, remove /dev/rmt0 device
         example: rmdev -l 'rmt0' '-d;
     - Using SMIT utility or manually, define the 3590H device
         example: mkdev -c tape -t '3590' -s 'scsi' -p 'scsi0'
                        -w '0,0' -l 'rmt0';
     - Run TSM server (dsmserv);
     - Issue TSM command: UPDate DEVclass devclassname FORMAT=DRIVE
         update devclass devclass_3590 FORMAT=DRIVE;
     - Issue TSM command: DELete DRive libname drivename
         delete drive lib_3590 drive_3590;
     - Issue TSM command:
         DEFine DRive libname drivename DEVIce=devicename
         define drive lib_3590 drive_3590 device=/dev/rmt0;
     - Users must update storage pool volumes to have ACCESS=READONLY
       under the following conditions.  Users do not have to follow
       this procedure for database backup, dump or export volumes.

       For storage pool volumes:
       1) The volume currently has READWRITE access.
       2) The volume was previously written on 3590 drive.
       For example,
           UDPATE VOLUME volname ACCESS=READONLY WHEREACCESS=READWRITE

       This also applies to DRM-managed copy storage pool volumes that
       are in the MOUNTABLE state.

       For DRM-managed volumes that are not available to the TSM server
       (i.e., the volumes are not in MOUNTABLE state), the user does
       not need to take any action.  If copy storage pool volumes are
       brought back on-site to recover the ADSM server, the COPYSTGPOOL
       VOLUMES AVAILABLE macro will update the access of the copy
       storage pool volumes to READONLY.

       For any other off-site volume (ACCESS=OFFSITE), the user must
       update the access to READONLY after the volumes are brought
       back on-site.

 2. Intermix of 3590/3590E and 3590H drives in a single 3494 library
    environment.

    Consider an example of a physical library with
    one 3590/3590E drive defined  on /dev/rmt0 and
    a new 3590H drive defined on /dev/rmt1.
    Assume that there were originally defined devclass,
    logical library, and storage pool for 3590/3590E drives.
    With addition of a new 3590H drive to the
    library that already has 3590/3590E drives in it, new DEVCLASS,
    new logical LIBRARY, and new STORAGE pool MUST be defined.

    Defining new devclass, logical library, and storage pool
    for 3590H drive:

    DEFINE LOGICAL LIBRARY
    define library lib_3590H libtype=3494 device=/dev/lmcp0
             scratchcategory=lib_3590_scratch

             privatecategory=lib_3590_scratch+3

    DEFINE DEVCLASS
    define devclass devclass_3590H devtype=3590 format=3590H-C
                                               library=lib_3590H
                                                format=3590H-B
                                                  format=DRIVE

    DEFINE STORAGE POOL
    define stgpool stg_3590H devclass_3590H other parameters

    Defining separate devclass for each type of drives will
    allow the user to specify the format for the drive and insure
    that 3590/3590E volumes will not be mounted on 3590H drives
    and that 3590H volumes will not be mounted on 3590/3590E drives.

    Defining a logical library for each type of drives will allow
    to define two separate storage pools of scratch volumes.
    It is necessary to allow write the label for the volume
    in the appropriate format.

    Moving a scratch volume from 3590/3590E scratch pool
    to 3590H scratch pool:

      - TSM command: CHECKOut LIBVolume libraryname volname REMove=No
      - TSM command: CHECKIn LIBVolume libraryname SEARCH=Yes
    Note: In order to move volume from 3590/3590E scratch pool to 3590H
          scratch pool issue above commands and RELABEL the volume
          after it has been checked in the 3590/3590E library.

    IN ORDER TO READ THE VOLUME PREVIOUSLY WRITTEN IN 3590/3590E FORMAT
    ON 3590H DRIVE (THE STORAGE POOL THAT OWNS THE VOLUME POINTS
    TO A DEVCLASS THAT USES 3590H drive):
    - UPDATE ACCESS MODE TO THAT VOLUME TO READONLY
       update volume volumename access=readonly whereaccess=readwrite
    - CHECKOUT THE VOLUME FROM THE LOGICAL 3590/3590E LIBRARY
      (THE DEVCLASS' OLD LIBRARY THAT HAD 3590/3590E DRIVES);lename
         define drive l
    - CHECKIN THE VOLUME TO THE LOGICAL 3590H LIBRARY
      (THE DEVCLASS' NEW LIBRARY THAT CONTAINS 3590H DRIVES).

    Private volumes defined in private categories:

    The volumes defined in private category have to be marked READONLY in
    order to read data from them on 3590H drives. After data is expired
    and volume becomes empty its access type is still READONLY because
    this volume was directly defined in the private category. In order
    to reuse volumes with expired data on 3590H drives the access type of
    these volumes must be updated to READWRITE type. The user may update
    all volumes to READWRITE type with the following TSM command:
     update volume volumename/ *(all of them) access=readwrite
                   whereaccess=readonly wherestatus=empty
    There are also SQL scripts that will allow the user to query all volumes
    with above mentioned attributes.

    Next time the empty volume is mounted on 3590H drive for writing,
    it will be AUTOMATICALLY relabeled using 3590H format. This volume
    can be used neither for reading nor for writing on 3590/3590E drives.

    Scratch volumes:

    Next time the empty volume is mounted on 3590H drive for writing,
    it will be AUTOMATICALLY relabeled using 3590H format. This volume
    can be used neither for reading nor for writing on 3590/3590E drives.

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)