ADSM-L

Re: [tsm] 3590 Upgrades help required .

2003-08-14 07:55:19
Subject: Re: [tsm] 3590 Upgrades help required .
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:54:57 -0400
I know this was in the 4.1.5.0 README for the 3590E drive conversion, and
in the 5.1.6.0 readme for the 3590H upgrade.  It may appear in others as
well.

I believe I have a copy if you have trouble finding it; contact me
directly if you want me to send it over.

Regards,

-Lloyd

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 11:48:11 +0100
Farren Minns <fminns AT WILEY.CO DOT UK> wrote thusly:

> [...]
> to the H1A 3590 drives in the manuals or the the README file in
> /opt/tivoli/tsm/server etc  (I'm running TSM on Solaris by the way).
>
> Can anyone tell me exactly where I can get this information from. Also,
> has anyone else out there running TSM on Solaris and has been through a
> similar upgrade (see information below on the upgrade to be performed).
>
> The planned upgrade is as follows :-
>
> We're running TSM 4.2.2.12 on a Solaris 2.7 server. It's connected to an
> IBM 3494 library with two 3590 B1A drives (SCSI). We are going to be
> upgrading the drives from B1A to H1A models.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Farren Minns - John Wiley & Sons Ltd
> |+--------------------------------+------------------------------------
> |---||   Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>    |
>
> |     |
> ||   Sent by: "ADSM: Dist Stor    |
> | |
> ||   Manager"                     |   To:        ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>
> | |
> ||   <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>       |           cc:
>
> | |
> ||                                |           Subject:        Re:
> | |
> ||   08/11/2003 12:22 PM          |   Upgrading 3590 Tape Drives???
> | |
> ||   Please respond to "ADSM: Dist|
> | |
> ||   Stor Manager"                |
> | |
> ||                                |
> | |
> |+--------------------------------+------------------------------------
> |---|

> >We are soon going to be upgrading our 3590 B1A drives to the H1A models
> >so that we can squeeze loads more on the tapes and free up slots in our
> >soon-to-be-filled library.
> >
> >Now, as far as I am aware, this is a relatively simple operation. Am I
> >right in thinking that all that needs to be done after the drives have
> been
> >upgraded is to mark all tapes that are presently in the on-site
> >Tapepool(in the library) as read only. After this, only scratch tapes
> >will be used and I will be free to start running some movedata commands
> >to start consolidating tapes (using the new higher compression).
>
> 3590H upgrading is fully covered in the server README file.

> ******
>
> This email transmission is confidential and intended for the person or
> organisation it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you must not copy, distribute, or disseminate the information, open any
> attachment, or take any action in reliance of it. If you have received
> this message in error please notify the sender.

> except where the sender specifically states otherwise.
>
> Although this email has been scanned for viruses you should rely on your
> own virus check, as the sender takes no responsibility for any damage
> arising out of any bug or virus infection.

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267