ADSM-L

Re: Accidentally issued delete volume ...

2003-08-13 09:32:00
Subject: Re: Accidentally issued delete volume ...
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:05:47 +0100
Arnaud,

Depending upon how much you want the files on this volume back, it *is*
possible, but not using any cosy commands like restore volume etc.

As TSM only deletes references from the database and not the actual data
from the tapes, providing you haven't overwritten the data yet on the
volume that you have erased you'll probably be okay.

To be extremely brief, you'd install an additional instance of TSM
Server on your server (make sure you use a different TCPPort etc. in
your dsmserv.opt!) and restore a TSM database backup from before you
deleted the tape. You would then be able to get hold of the data on the
tape, and if nothing else restore it to a temporary staging area...

There's been mention of this on the list a few times before - this
process is also useful for getting back expired data, depending upon how
dynamic your tape pool usage is...

Rgds,

David McClelland
Global Management Systems