ADSM-L

reorganisation :)

2003-08-12 09:57:50
Subject: reorganisation :)
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 16:00:00 +0200
a simple success story:

I just finished reorganisation of my TSM Server.

I added 3 disks to build new Raid,
I changed location, names, size and count of both database and logfile
volumes
I added redundancy to database and logfile
I completly reorganised all disk storage volumes to optimally use sizes and
transfers speeds of old and new raid volumes
I changed part of my backup database concept &implemented it
and by the way I performed small emergency restore for one user
and installed a pair of new nodes in another city.

At the end, none of original database, logfile, disk storage pool volumes
exists, everything changed.

The actual point is :

I could do all of this
during normal backup/migrate/reclaim etc.. operations without considerable
impact on my users.

Well, I had to shut TSM off and reboot once
but it was because of NT2000 who refused
to recognise new file system which just had been been formatted by himself.

This is the time to say  * T H A N K S * to IBM developers team
and be happy to have chosen this product - very few act like this one.

regards

Juraj Salak