ADSM-L

SUBFILEBACKUP problems and issues

2003-08-11 17:56:36
Subject: SUBFILEBACKUP problems and issues
From: Len Boyle <SNOLEN AT VM.SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:21:35 EDT
Hello

We have been using the subfilebackup feature for windows 2k clients located
out on the wan.This feature has helped quite a bit as the windows client
disk usage has grown and the wan lines speeds have grown but not at the same
rate.

Side note: his is where the tsm client on an icrenmental backup only backups
changed blocks and not the whole file. This is a huge savings in network and
tsm server media.To do this the tsm client creates a checksum for each file
and stores them in a directory on the client.

We have run up against several design limits, which were discussed on this
listserv a few months back. Now we have run into a problem that appears
to be the same as listed in apar IC36552.

Both the limits and the problem are related to that magic 1 and 2 gig numbers.

The problem is when the base file and delta files, each under the 2 gig support
limit, in total exceed 2gig. Then the client can not put the data together to
restore the file.It appears that the client uses a 2gig memory map of the
data.

The first limit is that the files used to store the checksums have a limit of
1 gigbyte.

The second limit is that the files covered under subfile are limited to
2 gig.

The orginal design thoughts for this feature seemed to be for laptops with
small disk drives. Of course we are using this for windows files servers
with users who store files greater then 2gig.

So we run run up against both of the above limits. And now we are finding that
the file limit is really going to have to be something much smaller then 2gig,
because of apar ic36552.

Can I ask if there is a test fix for Apar IC36552, that I be put on the list
of folks that are on the testors list.

Also let me put in a vote to raising the limit on the file size and the
checksum size.

How many folks out there are using this feature?
For servers?
On the lan and not the wan?

Leonard Boyle                               snolen AT vm.sas DOT com
SAS Institute Inc.                          ussas4hs@ibmmail
Room RB448                                  len.boyle AT sas DOT com
1 SAS Campus Drive                          (919) 531-6241
Cary NC 27513