ADSM-L

incremental / selective backup

2003-08-11 03:39:53
Subject: incremental / selective backup
From: "kurt.beyers AT pandora DOT be" <kurt.beyers AT PANDORA DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:39:32 +0200
Hello,

Once more a question concerning the 'always incremental' backup behaviour of
TSM.

I'm examining a TSM setup done by a thirth party and he has done something
strange.

He performs a selective full backup in the weekend and the normal incremental
backups during the week. But if a file A changes on friday and you take a
selective backup in the weekend, won't the file A be included in the
incremental backup on monday as well? Or is the incremental backup compared to
the latest backup (incremental or selective)?

I'll switch to an 'incremental' only backup, as this is how TSM was setup. But
still wondering about the incremental backup compared to the selective backup.

best regards,

Kurt