ADSM-L

Re: Large file backup strategies

2003-08-11 01:24:58
Subject: Re: Large file backup strategies
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 18:07:48 +0300
Many comments:
1. Multi-gigabyte backup needs time to be created on that file. Afterwards
you need to backup the file using the backup product (be it TSM or not).
Hope you are not adding to the sum backup to diskpool and migration to
tape.
Use TDP for SQL as already suggested. It is not that expensive compared to
*restore* you will have to perform - restore the file and just after that
restore the database. And applying transaction logs might be very useful,
isn't it.

2. Using single backup file forces single-threaded backup, thus
single-threaded restore. As result even if database data files are spread
across several spindles, the speed is bottlenecked by the performance of
the filesystem the backup file is created in. Also that same filesystem
must accomodate whole database, therefore be big, and from this probably
is on RAID-5 - again backup performance decrease.
Answer is again TDP for SQL with its multi-stripe backup/restore
capabilities.

3. What is the business requirement justifying those 60 versions of a file
- it is hard to be understood for both data and OS files??? Maybe the
actual requirement is to keep last 60 days but usage of some other product
transformed the requirement to 60 versions.
Find the root cause! Ask requirements to be defined in *business* terms
and not in IT terms (from your signature it seems you ought to know the
ArcView requirements, but maybe again in IT terms).

4. Your administrator is wrong. TSM is a mature product and definitely can
distinguish between different files and their corresponding requirements.
Ask your administrator to become familiar with redbook TSM Concepts
(SG24-4877) or recommend him/her to pass TSM education.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Randy Kreuziger <KREUZRSK AT DFW.WA DOT GOV>
08.08.2003 17:58