ADSM-L

Re: Large file backup strategies

2003-08-08 13:36:16
Subject: Re: Large file backup strategies
From: Ung Yi <yi-1 AT MEDCTR.OSU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 13:35:44 -0400
You might want to look at a product called SQL LiteSpeed.
It's a SQL Server backup/compression program.

Yi

>>> Eddie_Jones AT CANADALIFEUS DOT COM 08/08/03 01:29PM >>>
How about using the TDP for SQL client?

Eddie Jones
770-953-1959 ext.2824

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right
sometimes."
- Sir Winston Spencer Churchill

                      Randy Kreuziger
                      <KREUZRSK AT DFW DOT WA.        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      GOV>                     cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Large file backup
strategies
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/08/2003 10:58
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

We resently purchased a couple of sql server boxes for use in storing ESRI
GIS layers. This includes the storing of orthophotography images covering
our entire state. The orthos are stored in SQL Server with the initial load
creating a backup file 55 GBs in size. As we load more TIFs this backup
file will only grow.

According to the administrator of our  backups the policy governing this
machine is set to maintain 60 versions of a file. I thought this was over
kill before but with SQL Server backups that will approach 100GBs our
backup server will probably drown in orthophoto backups.

My administrator states that the system can not be configured to retain x
number of versions of one file type and y number of versions for all others
. Are there any work arounds so that I don't have 60 versions of .bak files
while retaining that number for all other files?

Thank you,
Randy Kreuziger
 ArcSDE Administrator

 ---***---