ADSM-L

Large file backup strategies

2003-08-08 13:24:21
Subject: Large file backup strategies
From: Randy Kreuziger <KREUZRSK AT DFW.WA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 07:58:54 -0700
We resently purchased a couple of sql server boxes for use in storing ESRI GIS
layers. This includes the storing of orthophotography images covering our
entire state. The orthos are stored in SQL Server with the initial load
creating a backup file 55 GBs in size. As we load more TIFs this backup file
will only grow.

According to the administrator of our  backups the policy governing this
machine is set to maintain 60 versions of a file. I thought this was over kill
before but with SQL Server backups that will approach 100GBs our backup server
will probably drown in orthophoto backups.

My administrator states that the system can not be configured to retain x
number of versions of one file type and y number of versions for all others .
Are there any work arounds so that I don't have 60 versions of .bak files while
retaining that number for all other files?

Thank you,
Randy Kreuziger
ArcSDE Administrator