ADSM-L

Re: Fw: NEW Magstar Drive ????

2003-08-08 09:15:15
Subject: Re: Fw: NEW Magstar Drive ????
From: "Coolen, IG (Ilja)" <ilja.coolen AT ABP DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 15:14:35 +0200
Something on 1TB tapes,

I am not anctious to use a 1TB tape.

1. The extra tape length means longer FWD and RWD times.

2. Having this much data on one tape means that the possibility for a
multisession restore becomes smaller because the number of tapes that can be
mounted for the restore will be minimum. Besides the primary tape, there
will be (or should be) at least one copytape.
We have 9 x 3950e drives (on AIX 4.3), so we have sufficient mount points to
start multisession restores. We have 4 mountpoints per client by default.
This would make no sence if we had all the data one tape for a client. In
our case this would mean we could only restore using two sessions (primary
and copy tape) at a time, thus resulting in longer restore durations for a
client.

3.
Having this much data on one tape also result in a much longer volume
restore in case of a defective tape.

4.
The possibility of multiple clients waiting to access data on a specific
tape because it is already allocated by a client or housekeeping process
increases with such large tapes.

There are probably some more disadvantages, but these concern us the most.

Of course there are also some bright sides to this 1TB tape.
Less mounts, less slots in a library, less offsite rotation. If any can
think of some more advantages, please let us know.

PS: We are waiting for the official release of the 3592 drives. We are
desiring faster drives to shorten our restore windows, but the drives and
tapes have to be at the reliability level of the current 3590E. The
increased storage capacity is not interesting to us.

Just my EUR 0.02

Ilja