ADSM-L

Re: Policy Domain Question

2003-08-07 21:00:33
Subject: Re: Policy Domain Question
From: Mark Ferraretto <mark.ferraretto AT DB DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:59:13 +0800
My motivation was to keep the backup database size small.

We have to archive about 5,000,000 small files off our NT servers every month.
I found that our database size was growing by about 5GB per month as a result.
At that rate I would have had a database that was about 100GB in a year.

I considered using 2 hostnames as I know a lot of others do this.  But our
database would still have grown to the same size.  Using the second instance
enabled us to keep the backup instance's database small.  This speeds up
disaster recovery and also makes offsite tape processing faster (simply because
the database backup is smaller).  Also Tivoli don't recommend you let your
database grow past 60GB.

I've had this configuration running for 2 months now.  My backup database is
about 18GB and shouldn't grow much past that.  The archive instance's database
is already at 30GB.  I'm not sure how much more it would grow as we're using
incrementals to do our archives now.  We'll know after a year!

I agree about the restore issue.  But we don't restore off archives too often.
Also, we keep the archive pool onsite so restore might take a while but at
least we don't have to call a tape in.

Mark

--
Mark Ferraretto
Unix Systems Administrator

                      acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NE
                      T                        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      [email protected].        Subject:  Re: Policy Domain
Question
                      EDU

                      08/07/03 05:07 PM
                      Please respond to
                      ADSM-L

All right, this approach was discussed many times on this list with only
one exception - you are the first one willing to do it on separate
instance. What others do: 1 node for backups and 1 or more nodes for
different archival requirements (each node can belong to different policy
domain), both stanzas in dsm.sys (UNIX) or both dsm.opt (Win) files point
to same server instead of two. This eliminates the hassle with unnecessary
virtual volumes - when you need to restore a single small file, the
satellite TSM server "mounts" a virtual volume which results on main
server restore from tape of whole file/volume.
What is the rationale which drove you to two instance implementation?

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Mark Ferraretto <mark.ferraretto AT DB DOT COM>
07.08.2003 03:17