ADSM-L

Re: export/import client data

2003-08-07 16:03:02
Subject: Re: export/import client data
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 15:02:00 -0500
with import you can't merge client data...
so when those boxes are down to just the last few archives and you want to
take those out of the test tsm env & move over to the prod tsm env you can
do one of...
1) import the node with "replacedef=no" which will rename the imported
filespaces to something different and you will reference the imported data
from the node under these renamed filespaces
2) rename the node to something like <existing node name>_old, export that
from the test server, then import it on the production server with
replacedef=yes
      this 2nd way you can use the -virtualnode=blah_old to then access
those files if required...

the export will take all the node's data (provided you use the proper
options) and copy it to a set of tapes that you would then remove from the
one silo and place in the other...your TMS system should allow you to check
a tape out of the one environment and then check it into the other...
if you find that there is just no way to do that... you could always
perform the export to a disk file, then ftp it between your test & prod
system and import the client's data (ugh...)

hope this helps...

Dwight
      ps, I have one box named <normalname>_Apr01 this is a node I moved in
a way such as you want to do and that node contains all the long term
archives for that box, prior to April of 2001

                      Joni Moyer
                      <joni.moyer@HIGHM        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ARK.COM>                 cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  export/import client
data
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/07/2003 02:09
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Hello everyone!

I am in the process of moving several servers from a production tsm server
to a test tsm server.  They are both on os/390 2.10 and are at the 5.1.6.2
level.  Several of the dozen servers will have archived data on the test
server that I would like to move to the production server.  I have been
researching export/import of node data and I am not quite sure if this is
the method that would work....  What I want to do is register the servers
on the production tsm and let them do backups/archives to this server and
let all of the other backup information expire after their 95 day retention
period on the test server.  Then I still have some archive data that needs
to be moved.  If I want to do this, how would it be possible if the node
already exists on the server I am trying to move the data to?  Also, how do
I then have the files use different management classes?  And our tapes are
regulated by TMS and they are labeled according to what system they were
created on, so I'm not quite sure how I would be able to import the data
from test to production when they are in seperate silo's.  They are the
same media type (Magstar 3590's) in an STK 9310 Powderhorn silo.

I was just wondering how others have done this successfully?

Thanks in advance!

Joni Moyer
Systems Programmer
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com