ADSM-L

Re: Restore: Gui vs. CLI - Differences?

2003-08-07 10:06:00
Subject: Re: Restore: Gui vs. CLI - Differences?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:05:23 -0600
> Is the difference in behaviour between GUI and CLI a bug,

No.

> a feature,

Not as such, no.

> or something which I don,t understand since I am missing
> something?

See one of my prior posts on this topic in the ADSM-L archives at
http://msgs.adsm.org/cgi-bin/get/adsm0103/207.html for explanation and
suggestions.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Tobias Hofmann <tobias.hofmann AT MEDIEN.UNI-WEIMAR DOT DE>
08/07/2003 06:41

        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
        cc:
        Subject:        Restore: Gui vs. CLI - Differences?

Hi all,

last week we survived a RAID-Crash (6 of 8 HDs bad blocks - don,t
ask...), and restored all data completely and timely, to my surprise... :)

Afterwards, I took a closer look at the restore process, and found the
following, which irritates me quite a bit:

Given a directory on drive D: of the W2k-Server by the name of
"backups". Into this dir, a PRESCHEDULECMD is run, which copies dumps of
databases running on that machine into this directory. This is done by
both, copying a single file as well as complete directories there.

After that, an incremental backup of all of D: is run. The backup copy
group applied looks like this:

Backup Copy Groups : STANDARD STANDARD STANDARD
    STANDARD

Policy Domain Name
                                     STANDARD
           Policy Set Name
                                     STANDARD
           Mgmt Class Name
                                     STANDARD
           Copy Group Name
                                     STANDARD
           Versions Data Exists
                                     2
           Versions Data Deleted
                                     1
           Retain Extra Versions
                                     30
           Retain Only Version
                                     60

and is (of course) derived from the default settings, which seem
sufficient to our needs and space limitations of the lib we have.

I would expect to be able to restore, in the worst case, every file to a
timespan of up to 60 days after deletion and, if a file had changed
multiple times, up to two versions before the current one, up to 30 days.

Now, if I fire up the GUI and take a look at different points of time at
which (to which?) I could restore the folder or files to, I see (view
also deleted files is enabled) today the folder and files, yesterday the
folder with the little blue cross (for deleted?), and the day before
yesterday nothing. The folder "backups" is not there.

If i use the CLI and type

tsm> query backup -pitt=06:00:00 -pitd=20.07.2003 d:\backups\

I still get listed a whole bunch of files, of which I assume that they
are all younger than 6am, 20.7.03 - which is what i would expect. Note
that currently I would not know how to restore such a state using the GUI.

Is the difference in behaviour between GUI and CLI a bug, a feature, or
something which I don,t understand since I am missing something?

Thanks in advance for any input,

kind regards, tobi... :)
Dipl.-Ing. Tobias Hofmann   Bauhaus-Universitaet Weimar  D99423 Weimar
Professur fuer Graphische Datenverarbeitung      Projekt medienquadrat
SnailMail:  Bauhaus-Universitaet  Weimar,  Fak. Medien,  D99421 Weimar
Location:     D99423 Weimar     Karl-Haussknechtstr. 7      Zimmer 111
                 Fon: ++49-(0)3643-58-3780  Fax : -3701
           e-mail: mailto:tobias.hofmann AT medien.uni-weimar DOT de