ADSM-L

Re: moving TSM to another server

2003-08-06 12:08:53
Subject: Re: moving TSM to another server
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 10:57:43 -0500
generally during DR you go back to like platforrms

ya know though... since the other box is a "new" server, give it a try...

on like systems, I've performed tsm db backups to flat files, ftp'ed them
over to a different tsm server, perormed a restore db and things ran just
fine

can't say what luck you may or may not have in going across different
operating systems but it is worth a try...

Dwight

                      Leonard Lauria
                      <Leonard AT UKY DOT EDU>        To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  moving TSM to another
server
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      08/06/2003 10:22
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

I know this is in the FAQ, I read the FAQ, I don't
like the answer.  :)

Even if I let the backups slowly expire on the old
system, and do new ones to the new server...which
will be extremely difficult due to the number of
tape drives I have...I still have 15 TBs of HSM data
on a single node that must be moved.  Is the only way
to do this export/inport?

Why can't the database be dumped and loaded on a new
server?  Isn't that what happens for DR?  Why can't
I just pretend I am doing a DR to my new server and
leave the data there?  This must be a stupid idea
since it is not in the FAQ, but I don't see why at
the moment.

I am changing the type of platform....moving from
a Solaris system to a AIX system.

Thanks for any insights into this!

leonard