ADSM-L

Re: Vedr.: define devclass file on w2k not working on mounted share?

2003-08-06 09:40:39
Subject: Re: Vedr.: define devclass file on w2k not working on mounted share?
From: Tobias Hofmann <tobias.hofmann AT MEDIEN.UNI-WEIMAR DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:39:25 +0200
Imre, all,

Imre Kloknicer wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Windows services by default run as a Local System account and this
account usually does not have access to network resources.

ok...

 I usually
create a user for running TSM services and give appropriate
permissions to this user.

ok, familiar with the concept. And after playing around with it for a bit I started to realize that for the setup I had in mind here, I face the problem of having to pass along user- and passwordinformation, which does not seem to be possible within the "define devclass..." syntax - is that correct?

As effect of that, I would have to either take my backup-server-machine into the same domain as the machine I intend to create my backups on, or allow guest and anonymous login on that machine - is that correct also?

thanks again for the input and any further comments,

kind regards, tobi...

Regards, Imre

-----Original Message----- From: Tobias Hofmann
[mailto:tobias.hofmann AT MEDIEN.UNI-WEIMAR DOT DE] Sent: Wednesday,
August 06, 2003 12:12 PM To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU Subject: Re:
Vedr.: define devclass file on w2k not working on mounted share?

Imre, Allan,

thanks for the quick reply, but:

Allan Hansen wrote:

Hi Tobias,

Don't use the drive letter. It will work with the server name of
the remote machine.

e.g.:

define devclass remoteshare devtype=file

dir="\\servername\tsmbackups"

tsm: CMS2_SERVER1>define devclass remoteshare devtype=file dir="\\cms1\tsmbackups" ANR8366E DEFINE DEVCLASS: Invalid value for
DIRECTORY parameter. ANS8001I Rückkehrcode 3.

Whereas i can see \\cms1\tsmbackups in the file explorer on the
machine CMS2, as well as do

C:\>net view \\cms1 Freigegebene Ressourcen auf \\cms1

Name         Typ          Lokal    Beschreibung

-------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------- tsmbackups Platte videos Platte Der
Befehl wurde erfolgreich ausgeführt.

in a CLI on CMS2...

I do have to logon to cms1, though, before i can see it in the file
 explorer - could that be a security thing, that the tsm-server on
cms2 is running under anoter user context?

any ideas? thanks for the input,

kind regards, tobi...

Allan Hansen Munk IT A/S Egelundsvej 18 5260 Odense S Denmark

Tobias Hofmann <tobias.hofmann AT MEDIEN.UNI-WEIMAR DOT DE> Sendt af:
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> 06-08-2003 11:31
 Besvar venligst til "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

Til:    ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU cc: Vedr.:  define devclass file on
w2k not working on

mounted share?

hi all,

I would like to create a devclass of devtype=file on a windows
2000 server (w2k) running tsm5.1.0.0 using as dir-path a mounted
share of another machine. So what I do is I mount the share of
the

other machine,

using the gui-analogon to "net use" (sorry, German OS here,

don,t know

the English terms by heart), on, say, drive f:, and then do

define devclass remoteshare devtype=file dir="f:\tsmbackups" on
the admin command line. result is

ANR8366E DEFINE DEVCLASS: Invalid value for DIRECTORY parameter.

I am told that on a Unix-machine, it is possible to define

a devclass of

type file on mounted volumes...

Am I missing something here? What could be the solution to

my problem?

Thanks in advance for any input,

kind regards, tobias hofmann :)

Dipl.-Ing. Tobias Hofmann   Bauhaus-Universitaet Weimar

D99423 Weimar

Professur fuer Graphische Datenverarbeitung      Projekt

medienquadrat

SnailMail:  Bauhaus-Universitaet  Weimar,  Fak. Medien,

D99421 Weimar

Location:     D99423 Weimar     Karl-Haussknechtstr. 7

Zimmer 111

Fon: ++49-(0)3643-58-3780  Fax : -3701 e-mail:

Fax : -3701 e-mail: mailto:tobias.hofmann AT medien.uni-weimar DOT de ----------------------------------------------------------------------