ADSM-L

Re: Reclaimation of Copy Dirs

2003-08-05 14:20:19
Subject: Re: Reclaimation of Copy Dirs
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 13:20:01 -0500
From: Debi Randolph [mailto:Debra.Randolph AT FBOL DOT COM]
> The volumes to be reclaimed show 0.00 % utilized, 99%
> Reclaimable.   If I
> query the contents, there are 1000's of items on the volume.
> I can run reclaimation on the pool, and it only shows 4
> volumes to reclaim,
> but it won't finish in 18 hours.   There are no error
> messages in the logs.
>
> Is there something special about this kind of data?

Is your disk storage pool cached? If so, that's your problem.

We've had multiple discussions on this list about slow copy pool
reclamations; a common culprit is a cached disk pool, which forces TSM
to use the copies of files still existing in your disk pool, but only
*one at a time*, rather than the batched file moves that take place from
a primary tape pool volumes to copy tape pool volumes.

If this is your problem, you have two alteratives: turn caching off on
the disk pool, or do a daily MOVE DATA from disk pool volumes to your
primary tape pool prior to copy pool reclamation.

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT berbee DOT com)
Berbee Information Networks