ADSM-L

FW: Lotus Notes Non-TDP backups

2003-07-29 12:08:38
Subject: FW: Lotus Notes Non-TDP backups
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:07:08 +0100
Stefan

Fair enough, and if you've made proven progress in your company of using the
openfile snapshot feature (which I personally have not yet played with) then
good stuff!

My only experience (using the below configuration) was in an AIX Notes server
environment which was a) pretty large and b) pretty active. In the amount of
time taken for the ba client to have piped a 100MB or larger (sometimes well
into GB for some users) .nsf mailfile or database to its TSM server it would
the majority of the time have gotten written to and caused an inconsistency,
which for a user's mailfile backup just wasn't worth the risk. Nor could we
afford downtime on the live service.

Admittedly, it certainly wasn't a cheap solution, requiring lots of extra
hardware and support, but our guys looked into using TDP for Domino and it just
wasn't even slightly feasible in the size of our environment at the time (using
3494/3590 and local SSA disk as we were), with projections for simple restores
taking *so* many tape mounts and *so* much time.

So, in summary - whatever works for your scale of environment is good, but just
ensure that *plenty* of testing is carried out and carries on being carried out
to ensure that your restores are good ones. After all how many times have we
said to our customers, "Oh yes, the backups are running fine!" and then
muttered under our breath, "it's the restores that are going to be the
problem..." ;o)

All the best,

David (now using Outlook instead of Notes!) McClelland
Global Management Systems
Reuters Ltd