ADSM-L

Re: Export order

2003-07-25 15:19:37
Subject: Re: Export order
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:13:52 -0500
Wanda,

OK.  Based on the first seven tapes out of 75, it appears that TSM asks
for source tapes in order that they were FIRST WRITTEN, from old to new.
Since there is no queryable field that reports first write date, if tapes
are used in batches, as these were, then the LAST write date is a suitable
substitute and will at least identify the order of the batches.

In other words, in my case each batch of tapes consists of about four
tapes.  I know the order of the batches, but I don't necessarily know the
order within each batch.  So as long as I check in complete batches, I
ensure that the export will process all files from that batch without ever
asking for a tape from outside the library.

The tape currently being read is from the June 2001 batch.  All of the
tapes from that batch are already checked into the library.
If I check in all four tapes from the July 2001 batch, TSM will be able to
continue when it finishes with June, even though I don't know which July
tape will be loaded first.

Note that I opened a PMR on this yesterday and IBM couldn't tell me the
answer either!

Random indeed.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram LLC

"Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
07/24/2003 01:38 PM