ADSM-L

Re: Wouldn't it be nice...

2003-07-24 11:25:14
Subject: Re: Wouldn't it be nice...
From: Bill Smoldt <smoldt AT STORSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:28:02 -0600
I think we forget that Andy monitors the list voluntarily, and we should be
thankful for that and his authoritative answers.  This has great value to us
and to IBM in circumventing support calls.

However, if we _expect_ IBM to assign other people to monitor the list as a
part of their job description, we should expect to pay for that service.
IBM is in business.  Because some of us pay for that service in another
fashion, that's the place we have a right to expect an answer from a
qualified engineer that works on a particular portion of the code.  If we
could prove a cost savings to IBM through list participation of employees,
they might be more willing to assign people to monitor the list - I don't
know how to quantify that.

Within the list, it's a privilege, not a requirement.  While I agree that it
would be nice, Flemming, I think we have to remember to be thankful for what
we're getting for free already.  Everyone should send an email to Andy's
boss today.

Bill Smoldt
STORServer, Inc.