ADSM-L

Re: Tape performance

2003-07-22 15:19:59
Subject: Re: Tape performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 15:19:26 -0400
>>I am wondering if there is something in TSM that throttles the tape
>>performance we should be getting.  I can do a dd test from the operating
>>system to the tape drive and with that receive 2 GB per minute (32 MB/sec)
>>but when I do a test through TSM, I only get 1 GB per minute.

>The test to move data from the operating system was just a 10GB file,
>although it was all zero's.

Thanks, that extra info helps a lot...
The T9840B FICON Tape Drive Specifications that I see on the vendor web site
quote "Performance, native 19 MB/sec".  I thought the 32 MB/s was a high
number.  I suspect that you did not disable tape drive compression in your
all-zero's test, and so ended up with a number which was a great test of your
FC, but not the drive->media.  In context, your ~16 MB/s TSM speed seems
excellent, then.  I'd be happy with that number.

Customers who also have 9840B drives might want to chime in on their
experiences.

  Richard Sims, BU