ADSM-L

Re: Notes/email backup and retention

2003-07-20 21:49:27
Subject: Re: Notes/email backup and retention
From: Joe Howell <jhowell_tsm AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:49:04 -0700
This is essentially a legal question; I've been asked the same question and
it's always because somebody wants to make sure that our tapes can't be
subpoenaed in a lawsuit.  The only way, as Mr. Sims so correctly pointed out,
to make sure that the data is erased is by writing binary zeroes to the end of
the volume.  Alternately you can degauss the tape but this is not as complete a
solution.  Plus you have to reformat the tape after you're through.

Joe Howell
Shelter Insurance Companies
Columbia, MO