ADSM-L

Re: DR restore speed issue

2003-07-14 09:58:43
Subject: Re: DR restore speed issue
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:57:57 +0200
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 09:47:21 -0400
Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> We just had a disaster recovery drill recently and the issue of slow
> restores/retrieves was brought up.  It seems that there are so many tape
> mounts because the offsite copy storage pools aren't collocated since we
> send these tapes offsite every morning at 8AM.  To collocate would be a
> waste of tape and also cause more administrative work, such as
> reclamation. It has been suggested that we do archives of these filespaces
> and keep them for a limited number of days.  Is there a more efficient way
> of consolidating data onto a small group of tape for offsite or am I out
> of luck here.  It just seems like there should be a more efficient way of
> doing this without having to collocate and waste so many tapes.  Thanks in
> advance for any suggestions you may have!

If you have several policy domains, each writing to a separate primairy
storagepool, you could have separate copypools as well. In this way you
could eg. have your two or three 'must be recovered in 10 hours or so,
otherwise DR is useless' systems write to a smaller copypool. This will give
you some overhead, but could greatly reduce the number of tapemounts needed
when restoring from copypool volumes.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Stichting Academisch Rekencentrum Amsterdam    http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams