ADSM-L

Re: AIX Upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.1

2003-07-11 12:35:20
Subject: Re: AIX Upgrade from 4.3.3 to 5.1
From: Justin Derrick <ADSM AT JUSTINDERRICK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:19:12 -0400
Follow the directions for the 5.1 to ML4 upgrade explicitly -- I
un-tar'd everything into one directory and let smit have it's way,
which was a huge mistake -- thankfully it was a brand new server with
nothing on it.

It's also a good idea to back up /usr/ccs/lib/libc.a to somewhere
else, like /tmp or even / before any big upgrade.  If libc.a gets
corrupted during the upgrade process (it's happened before), this
preventative measure will allow you to recover the box instead of
forcing you to re-install and try to recover your old volume groups.
(FYI, you switch to the old libc.a by using 'set LIBPATH=/tmp'.)

-JD.

I'm going to be upgrading my TSM server from 4.3.3 ML10 to 5.1 ML?.  My TSM
version is 5.1.1.6.  Has anybody had any problems with ML4?

Thanks,
Bruce Kamp
Midrange Systems Analyst II
Memorial Healthcare System
E: bkamp AT mhs DOT net <mailto:bkamp AT mhs DOT net>
P: (954) 987-2020 x4597
F: (954) 985-1404