ADSM-L

Re: MSSQL backup sequence

2003-07-09 13:06:14
Subject: Re: MSSQL backup sequence
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 13:02:08 -0400
Paul,

You can't see them from DP for SQL because they
are effectively "deleted". The TSM server has
marked them for deletion for the next
time the expiration process runs.

If you want your backups to stay around based on days,
I recommend that you set VEREXISTS=9999 and VERDELETED=9999
and set RETEXTRA=38 and RETONLY=38. In doing so, deletion of
old backups is based on number of days and not number of versions.
(I used 38 because you need to keep the last full backup
around so that you can apply the differential to it.)

That way, if you need to run ad hoc backups (and create
more that 30 versions in less than 30 days),
it won't disrupt your service level agreement to keep backups
for the last 30 days.

You didn't show your other policy group settings, so I
can't explain why those versions were marked for expiration,
but I would guess that the VERDELETED was set to something low.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation