ADSM-L

Re: LTO throughput - real world experiences

2003-07-09 04:13:53
Subject: Re: LTO throughput - real world experiences
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:43:12 +0100
Michael,

Regarding automation of collecting throughput performance stats directly
from SAN switches, I would suggest, although I haven't tried it, that
automation is possible through the SNMP agent on most switches. IBM
2109's, for example, I recall have a fairly comprehensive set of data
available reporting throughput per port, and an SNMP get script could
pull these stats at a given interval to a machine elsewhere on the
network. IBM/Tivoli Netview I seem to remember has performance
monitoring via MIB's in-built and can automate this fairly easily, even
displaying the data in a chart if necessary.

That being said, I'm sure there are dozens of other SAN management tools
out there which perform similar performance/stat/event gathering
functions - it's just a question of how complex they are, and how much
you'd want to pay for them!

Rgds,

David McClelland
Global Management Systems