ADSM-L

Re: TSM and iSeries(AS/400) clients

2003-07-07 19:49:24
Subject: Re: TSM and iSeries(AS/400) clients
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:22:23 +1000
There has been significant discussion on AS400 and TSM on this list in the past
so you may want to search the archives.

Basically the current interface uses TSM to provide virtual tape drives  to
BRMS.  Since BRMS uses a GFS backup strategy this negates TSM's advantages.  It
has also been reported to be a very slow backup option although it does work.

A native os400 client has been reported to be in the works for some time but is
not yet ready for prime-time.

I did the same research as you about 2 years ago and in the end we dedicated
two 3494 drives to the AS400 and let it do its thing direct to them.

Regards

Steve Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Queensland Health,
Brisbane Australia

>>> sams AT INFOSYSTEMS DOT BIZ 07/07/2003 23:49:49 >>>
BlankHello TSMers,

I've been doing some research into  adding an iSeries(AS/400) as a client to
TSM.  I have little or no experience with iSeries platforms.  I found a program
in AS/400, BRMS Application Client to TSM, that allows low-volume user data
backup to a TSM server.

I'm interested in any information from any TSMers that has the AS/400 as a
client...pros, cons, experiences.

Thanks,

Sam Schrage
System Engineer
InfoSystems, Inc
615-417-1887
.
.
.

This e-mail, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential
and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality
is not waived or lost if you receive it and you are not the intended
recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/ received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review
of this e-mail is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of
confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this
e-mail in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by
telephone or by return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail
message and destroy any hard copies produced.