ADSM-L

Mixed device type/media support - a clarification pls.

2003-07-03 14:29:18
Subject: Mixed device type/media support - a clarification pls.
From: Joerg Pohlmann <jpohlman AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:28:51 -0700
I am looking at the mixed device  and media support for SCSI libraries.
The new Admin Guide is clear on how to set up the library and device
classes. It seems to me that there is something missing in the pubs, both
admin guide and ref on how to label and checkin different device type
media. I tried to specify devt on label libvol and on checkin libv and it
seemed to accept the syntax, but because I do not (yet) have a mixed media
library, I could not actually test it.

Could someone please shed some light on the mechanics of getting different
media properly identified in a library, and also if someone could please
elaborate on the new columns and their values in the libvolumes table
(DEVTYPE and MEDIATYPE) that would be most helpful.

Joerg Pohlmann
604-535-0452