ADSM-L

DB Restore Using Server To Server Virtual Volume Failing

2003-06-28 21:12:59
Subject: DB Restore Using Server To Server Virtual Volume Failing
From: Robin Lowe <robin_lowe AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 02:10:09 +0100
Hi

I need some assistance as I have a problem attempting to Restore TSM DB to
our Test AIX Server.
To set the scene, we have two Production AIX TSM Servers each attached to
IBM3494 libraries, each at a different location.
The TEST AIX Server has NO TAPE connectivity.
Previously we have run a DB Backup using Virtual Volumes from TSM A to
TSMB, and then successfully restored to TEST TSM using the TSMB located
Virtual Volumes (using on TSM TEST copies of the device configuration &
volume history from TSMA).

Now this worked okay in 4.2.3.0 server.
We are currently at 4.2.3.2 on all three AIX TSM's, and are about to
upgrade to 5.1.6 and were in the process of refreshing the TEST TSM DB
using the above method PRIOR to the upgrade.

However, I see this problem :
(Command issued was : dsmserv restore db tod=06/29/2003)

 ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
ANR8200I TCP/IP driver ready for connection with clients on port 1500.
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 10000 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 40000 megabytes.
ANR4621I Database backup device class DEV_TSMDCA.
ANR4622I   Volume 1: TSM_DCA.DBB.056841428.
ANR4622I   Volume 2: TSM_DCA.DBB.056842284.
ANR4622I   Volume 3: TSM_DCA.DBB.056843053.
ANR4622I   Volume 4: TSM_DCA.DBB.056843772.
ANR4622I   Volume 5: TSM_DCA.DBB.056844426.
ANR4632I Starting point-in-time database restore (no commit).
ANR8340I SERVER volume TSM_DCA.DBB.056841428 mounted.
ANR9999D pvrserv.c(661): ThreadId<43> Error positioning SERVER volume
TSM_DCA.DBB.056841428 to 1:0.
ANR9999D icrest.c(2076): ThreadId<0> Rc=30 reading header record.
ANR2032E RESTORE DB: Command failed - internal server error detected.

Problem is having formatted the TEST TSM DB & Log, that server is currently
dead and I need to refresh the DB.

I have seen some threads on ADSMORG regarding tape libraries and using
manual mode, but do not think this applies here as I am going server to
server.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst

For more information on Standard Life, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road,
Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 - calls may be recorded or
monitored. This confidential e-mail is for the addressee only. If received
in error, do not retain/copy/disclose it without our consent and please
return it to us. We virus scan and monitor all e-mails but are not
responsible for any damage caused by a virus or alteration by a third party
after it is sent.