ADSM-L

TDP Domino - ZFS Performance Poor

2003-06-26 05:18:02
Subject: TDP Domino - ZFS Performance Poor
From: Robin Lowe <robin_lowe AT STANDARDLIFE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 10:15:12 +0100
Hi
Does anyone use TDP for Domino backing up ZFS files ?
I am testing performance for ZFS as against HFS and find ZFS some 8-12%
slower when running a domdsmc sel command.
Our environment :

Zos 1.1
Zos TSM Server       4.2.3.0
TDP/Domino       1.1.2.0
TSM OEMVS Client 4.2.1.0

We took a sample 5000 cylinder HFS file about 54% utilised and copied the
data to test HFS and ZFS files.

Here are some sample results from TDP/Domino backups :
Commands in both cases were :

domdsmc sel "mailst/*" /subd=yes >>
/etc/tsm/domino/m01/backups/£MAILDIR.log

HFS :

Total Domino databases inspected:         53
Total Domino databases backed up:         53
Total Domino databases excluded:          0

Throughput rate:                          7,385.72 Kb/Sec
Total bytes transferred:                  1,990,998,528
Elapsed processing time:                  263.26 Secs

ZFS :

 Total Domino databases inspected:         53
Total Domino databases backed up:         53
Total Domino databases excluded:          0

Throughput rate:                          6,488.06 Kb/Sec
Total bytes transferred:                  1,990,998,528
Elapsed processing time:                  299.68 Secs

ZFS are allocated as per recommendations in Red Book ZFS Implementation
SG246580

As far as Domino functions go, ZFS is far superior in performance to HFS;
from the TSM side we see the opposite.

Does anyone else have this experience ?

Thanks
Robin Lowe
Senior Storage Analyst
Storage Management Team

For more information on Standard Life, visit our website
http://www.standardlife.com/

The Standard Life Assurance Company, Standard Life House, 30 Lothian Road,
Edinburgh EH1 2DH, is registered in Scotland (No. SZ4) and regulated by the
Financial Services Authority. Tel: 0131 225 2552 - calls may be recorded or
monitored. This confidential e-mail is for the addressee only. If received
in error, do not retain/copy/disclose it without our consent and please
return it to us. We virus scan and monitor all e-mails but are not
responsible for any damage caused by a virus or alteration by a third party
after it is sent.