ADSM-L

Re: Device Class

2003-06-25 08:35:06
Subject: Re: Device Class
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 13:27:20 +0100
Hiya Zosimo,

I work in the environment as yourself where we use the same deviceclass for
onsite and copypool tapes. We have talked about this concept before for
using different deviceclasses (working against different tape technologies).
The only advantage we could come up with is that it provides a belt and
braces solution in the if there is an unknown firmware bug etc,etc in one of
your libraries then you have the bonus of another set of your data on a
different platform.

The reason we don't do this is the additional cost/management of additional
media and libraries. On the otherhand we do do regular TSM DR testing using
the offsite tapes.

Hope this sheds some light on things. On the other hand, if there are any
more technical reasons/advantages for doing this then I too would like to
hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services