ADSM-L

Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom

2003-06-25 03:12:03
Subject: Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom
From: Karel Bos <Karel.Bos AT NUON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:11:32 +0200
Hi,

Just to join. Today one of the tapes got a write error. In the AIX error
report we found this:

Description
TAPE OPERATION ERROR

Probable Causes
TAPE

User Causes
MEDIA DEFECTIVE
DIRTY READ/WRITE HEAD

To be sure I got the drive details:

Drive Usage Statistics

Loads 5719
Unloads 5719
MB written 139338803
MB read 1437640
Cleanings 251
Power on hours 8590

Interesting part is the number of cleanings. Our cleaning tape has been used
19 times in the past 3 years. This drive is a replacement drive put in our
library by IBM to replace a drive with a tape stuck in it.

Regard,

Karel

This TSM server: 4.2.2.13
OS: AIX 5