ADSM-L

Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom

2003-06-24 08:48:59
Subject: Re: Interesting LTO fault's symptom
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 08:48:37 -0400
>Interesting.  I have had an IBM 3584 library with (8) LTO1 drives, FC attached
>for over a year with no problem.  Cleaning tape was installed initially and
>autoclean turned on on the library.  Tape has not been used yet!.  I backup
>nearly 700GB of data a day and make offsite copies.  Don't do a lot of
>restores. I started with 100 tapes in system and now have 220.
>
>I remember a thread some months ago - maybe a year about cleaning.  Everybody
>then commented that their cleaning tapes weren't getting used either.

Let's pursue some details to try to pin this down...

 - The cleaning tape is an LTO type, with a volser prefix of "CLNI" or "CLNU"?
   (Otherwise the library thinks of it as a data cartridge.)
 - It was inserted using the procedure as documented in the 3584 manual?
 - It resides in a normal data cell (not the Diagnostic Tape cell)?
 - You have verified that Auto Clean is (still) activated?

If all of the above checks out, I would try following the manual's procedures
for removing a cleaning cartridge, and then reintroduce it, watching
particularly for a "Moving cleaning cartridge" message followed by
"Insertion of Cleaning Cartridges has completed".  Then re-check Auto Clean
being active.

Manually perform a Clean Drive operation to assure that the library understands
the cleaning cartridge and that the function occurs.

If still nadda, have your CE upgrade the library microcode, as appropriate;
and the drives microcode, as they may be failing to signal that they need
cleaning.

  Richard Sims, BU