ADSM-L

Re: Moving from OS/390 to AIX network questions.

2003-06-16 05:55:18
Subject: Re: Moving from OS/390 to AIX network questions.
From: "Wilcox, Andy" <andy.wilcox AT AQUILA-NETWORKS.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:49:02 +0100
Not quite the idea you are considering but what we have implemented on AIX
is to have 2 * gigbit ethernet interfaces configured as one device using an
etherchannel config (supported by AIX at 4.3.3 but switch needs to support
capability). One of the advantages is that if either card goes down then the
etherchannel continues to operate over the other adapter. The other key
advantage is that we can regularly see the etherchannel handling in excess
of 100MB/second (no its not a typo, I did mean megabytes!!!).

In terms of maximising performance you could then run TSMA and B over one
interface, just on different ports.

Hope this provides some food for thought!!!

Cheers

Andy Wilcox
Midrange Services
Aquila Networks Services Ltd