ADSM-L

Re: TSM LTO 3580 Performance

2003-06-14 08:46:57
Subject: Re: TSM LTO 3580 Performance
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:43:07 +0300
Do you have some spare space on the TSM server?
1. fill few GB filesystem with *uncompresable* data only, zip files for
example. No need for 100s of MB files. Everything bigger than 1-2 MB is
fine. TSM aggregation will bundle them to 10s or 100s.
2. backup that fs direct to tape (via loopback or named pipes).
3. watch the server console or query the actlog for sessions startup
(mount request) and actual volume mount. Note the time spent on mount.
4. wait for backup to complete and subtract mount time from total backup
time.
5. divide total ammount of data backed up by subtraction result in step 4.
The resulting speed must be close to 15 MB/s = 54 GB/h. 10-15% lower is
still acceptable but if is more it needs further investigation.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Colby Morgan <cmorgan AT DATA-TRONICS DOT COM>
13.06.2003 16:56