ADSM-L

Re: TSM LTO 3580 Performance

2003-06-13 09:47:49
Subject: Re: TSM LTO 3580 Performance
From: Dan Foster <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 13:46:54 +0000
Hot Diggety! Colby Morgan was rumored to have written:
> The SCSI adapter is a 2940UW.  It does run great with large files, so if we
> had an adapter hardware bottleneck file size shouldn't make a difference.
> We are running the v5.0.2183.1 of the Microsoft drivers.  I also opened a
> call with IBM, and they didn't make any recommendations to update the
> adapter drivers.

How many drives per SCSI bus? We limit it to two for a 80 MB/sec SCSI bus
because a single drive is capable of pushing up to about 30 MB/sec in
compressed mode over the SCSI bus.

As a side note - with a diskpool, we achieve about 70-80 GB/sec with our
LTO-1 drives, so the fact you're getting 1/5 to 1/8 the performance does
sound pretty terrible, indeed.

Could it be cabling quality issues - ie, reflection on the bus causing
excessive retries or other related SCSI errors? That's another place where
performance could be killed.

-Dan